Sunday, April 22, 2012

瑪莉亞處女雞 Maria "Virgin" Chicken ... Rose Wine Soy Chicken

I cannot verify the virginity of chooks from Maria "Virgin" Chicken 瑪莉亞處女雞. However, I can attest that these Virgin Chickens are well love by both men and women alike. When the stall was opened some time last year, the name of the stall caught my eye. Initially, there wasn't any serious queue and I actually laugh off the name more like a joke whatever the virgin is referring to. Almost a year past, the stall has started to accumulate its own fan base. I've been marketing early in the Chinatown Complex recently and observed that there's even a queue during early breakfast hours. In the earlier part of the morning, only half or whole chickens are sold. Chicken rice is only available during lunch time. I had lunch in Chinatown Complex last week and finally get to try the Virgin Chicken Rice. There was a long queue but fortunately my colleague volunteered to join the queue while I 'chope' seats. If you would like to visit, the stall is near to the lifts in Chinatown Complex.

The chicken in Maria Virgin Chicken is actually Rose Wine Soy Chicken 玫瑰油鸡. The Rose Wine and Soy Sauce got infused into the skin giving it that dark brown color. Initially, I thought it's typical roast chicken. When I finally tasted it, I discovered that the skin, unlike roast chicken, was very smooth and due to the Rose Wine Soy Sauce, it was very delicious. This is from some one who do not like to eat chicken skin unless it's grilled or fried. I've ordered breast meat with one drum stick. Even the breast meat was very tender. Of course the drum stick was much better. 

If I'm not wrong, those beans that are strewn over the chicken were stewed soy beans. They gave an extra texture, a savory kick and went well with my rice.

If you like to try to prepare this chicken at home, here a recipe from Piggy's Cooking Journal.

Gastronaut has the most details about Maria Virgin Chicken. It's written by a veteran who's most discerning about food.

335 Smith Street
#02-176 Chinatown Complex
Singapore

4 comments:

FoodieFC said...

wow this is an interesting stall! I always go have the claypot frog leg porridge instead. Looks like next time, I will change my plans and visit here!

Unknown said...

If you like You Ji. There's one with an impossible queue called Hong Kong You Ji. But I love an "underdog" with some obscure background anytime :)

Gastronaut said...

Wow, thanks for your compliments!

Unknown said...

Gastronaut : I'm sure my observation is not too far from the truth. I'm a follower. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails