Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A 'Stay-at-Home' Husband's brunch - Pan fried sausages, baked potatoes, croissant with sunny side up

Maison Kayser Petit Croissant spread with Elle & Vire French Butter
with Baked Russett Potatoes

It's Day 2 of being a mandatory 'Stay-at-Home' Husband. Not by choice but because my company have this habit of an undemocratic forced leave between X'mas and New Year and HY still need to head back to office.  I was a bit unaccustomed to the fact that I'm grounded in Singapore. For the last 10 years, I would make full use of this 'forced' leave. HY and I would be away on some 'exotic escapade', like my sis with two kids would begrudgingly put it. This year, we are grounded for the right reasons. HY's not able to fly as our little PengYu is in it's third trimester. I am exhilarated by just spending time putting my ear on HY's tummy, talking to the little one as he responds by punching and kicking like a little Thai boxer. For our little Thai boxer, it's time to pack away our back packs, hiking boots and winter wear for a while. For those who's gloating about us being grounded in Singapore, I can only tell you, "It's OK, we've been there, done that." and we're happily preparing to get on with the next phase of our lives. ;-)

After sending HY to her office, I packed our 'Sundown Marathon' recycling bag, which we use as groceries bag, and drove to our local NTUC to buy some ingredients for chicken curry that I'm going to cook this evening. Ambience at Marine Parade NTUC on a Tuesday morning is vastly different from the weekends. During the weekends, a cacophony of background noise created by the occasional collision of groceries trolleys amidst human banter is the norm. This Tuesday morning, even the squeaking of the trolley wheels became obvious. I can also tell from smelling the air in this Tuesday morning's NTUC that the concept of a 'Stay-at-Home' Husband didn't cling with our Singapore culture. The only guys in the supermarket were retired uncles tailing a few steps behind their wives and of course, just ME. It took a mere 15 minutes to amass all the ingredients, pay for the purchases and that include driving home and reaching my door step.

The idyllic morning pace and the mood set by the overast sky seemed to supersede the catalytic effects of coffee. Most importantly, I was bothered by the fact that I bought a pack of 5 Russett potatoes at $1.50. That was a couple too many for my chicken curry but I didn't want to pay more for each potato by buying lesser than 5. Moreover, I was also peeved with the idea of keeping 2 potatoes on my kitchen top, telling myself to cook them soon but only to procrastinate and leave them just to grow eyes. So, I canned the idea of a brunch-out and decided to create my 'Stay-at-Home' Husband's Brunch so that I can use up the excess potatoes.

The 'Stay-at-Home Husband' Brunch - Seng Choon First Born Eggs for the Sunny-side-ups,  Maison Kayser Petit Croissant with unsalted Elle & Vire French Butter, Oven Baked Russett Potatoes, Bratwurst and Bockwurst from Culina with Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard. I forgot my greens. There were some lettuce in my fridge #$%#@.

Ingredients
1) 2 eggs. I used Seng Choon First Born Eggs. They are smaller and supposedly low in cholesterol.
2) 2 Russett Potatoes Peeled and diced into cubes.
3) 1 Bratwurst and 1 Bockwurst chopped up.
4) 2 Pettit Croissant. Maison Kayser's croissant are made with cultured butter and had a rich buttery fragrance.
5) 20g of butter. To go with my croisant. Elle & Vire French Butter had a very nice flavor that I love.
6) 1 spoonful of Dijon Mustard. For dipping the sausages.

Method
1) Place potatoes inside an aluminium foil dish that was oiled with some olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Spray olive oil over the potatoes with an oil mister. ( I use an oil mister so that the potatoes that I get is not too greasy) Leave it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 250 deg C until the potatoes are slightly browned.
2) When the potatoes are going to ready in 10 minutes time, start to pan fry the bratwurst and bockwurst in a little olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and blacker pepper. Stir fry till they are browned. Plate them.
3) Fry 2 sunny-side-ups. I can do it in one go as I use first born eggs which are smaller in size. Plate them.
4) Right after the sausages and the eggs are done, the potatoes should be on time to be out of the oven. Plate them.
5) Plate the croissant and then cut a slab of butter.
6) Place Dijon mustard beside sausages.

3 comments:

FoodieFC said...

Ha, you are creative! 'Stay-at-Home Husband Brunch'.

You are in the semiconductor/electronics industry? Hence, the forced leave?

Unknown said...

Hey no digging :)

FoodieFC said...

Oh ok =)

Happy 2012!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails