Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I had a craving for ginger milk pudding tonight ......




Had a craving for this dessert tonight and I made it in a jiffy. The following is the recipe that I dug out of my almost defunct blog on my weekend cooking. There's not much time to cook during weekends now.


As a lover of both ginger and milk, I came close to ecstasy when I had Ginger Milk Pudding in dessert shops or restaurants. The first time I came across Ginger and Milk Pudding was in the streets of Kowloon, Hong Kong. In Cantonese, they call it, 姜汁撞奶, directly translated as "Collision of Ginger Juice and Milk", which is exactly what it is.  I can't imagine how easy it is to create this dessert at home until I tried it today. The goodness of ginger and milk into one. Isn't that marvelous? 


My bowl of "Collision of ginger Juice and Milk"




Recipe for 2 servings -

Ingredients :
4 tablespoons of Old Ginger Juice
2 tablespoons of Sugar
400ml of Full Cream Fresh Milk

Method :
1. Extract the ginger juice from some old ginger (click on the link for, "How to extract ginger juice").
2. Pour milk into a sauce pan and add sugar under low heat. Stir gently till all the sugar has melted and leave it to simmer till bubbling just occurs. Remove from heat and stir gently to cool for a while.
3. In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of ginger juice. Wake it up by stirring the juice.
4. Steadily pour the milk into the bowl while gently layering the ginger into the milk. After that, leave the mixture to cure for about 10 minutes. Do not stir the mixture after you are done pouring. (When milk is added to ginger juice, a chemical reaction takes place, and the mixture coagulates into a curd like texture.)
5. Repeat step 3 and 4 for the second bowl.
6. When a light tap with a teaspoon do not penetrate the surface, the Ginger Milk Pudding is ready to serve.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

red fir said...

姜汁撞奶 is one of my favorite Chinese desserts too. While it's possible to get 姜汁撞奶 at 记得吃, I'm going to get my fill of both 薑汁燉奶 & 雙皮燉奶 at Yee Shun Milk Company in HK soon. (:

Unknown said...

Yee Shun Milk Company is a good one. Enjoy!

superfinefeline said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love this dessert! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, glad u liked it. BTW I like ur new site!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails